Friday, May 1, 2015

Farewell to the Red Devil !

Last week we got to take a little mini vacation to Alabama to visit with my Dad. It was heavenly! He cooked delicious homemade meals determined to fatten me back up!  And the next best part...sitting by the water on the pier!  We moved around some when I was young but having a cabin on the river made Fish River more like home....a constant place...spending weekends, vacations and holidays there. I spent countless hours during the days roaming up and down the river with my brothers swimming and fishing and playing a little croaker badminton (just use your imagination!).  And evenings enjoying family dinners of the "catch of the day" and playing Chinese checkers. Then falling asleep to the sounds of the crickets and frogs. So you can imagine after the extreme emotions of the past couple months the feelings I had when I sat down and felt the warm breeze on my face and smelled the familiar river air.  Tears just flowed. Happy tears. Refreshing. It was just what I needed to gather strength for my last encounter with the "Red Devil"!

But I did it....now I am done with the "Red Devil"!  Four cycles completed with minimal side effects and problems. I did develop a fever and cough which they treated with a wicked strong antibiotic. I am so grateful for my amazing doctors and nurses at Mayo Clinic. Next week involves testing to check my response and health (MRI, echo cardiogram, pulmonary testing) then on to the next phase. Twelve weekly cycles of low dose chemo with two targeted therapies. I'm ready for the cure!  I'm learning as with any goal to focus on the end but a day at a time. Enjoying the happy moments along the way and thanking God for them.

Much love and thanks to everyone for all the prayers and love I'm receiving every day.  I feel and appreciate it more than you can ever imagine.

The Lord is my shepherd; I shall not want. He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters. He restoreth my soul: he leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name's sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil: for thou art with me; thy rod and thy staff they comfort me. Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou anointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over. Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life: and I will dwell in the house of the Lord for ever. (Psalms 23:1-6 KJV)

No comments:

Post a Comment